Sunday, December 31, 2006

*Can I say thank you (???)

One of the common things the exchange students here say is "The Chinese are so rude ! They do not even say 'Thank you' when you hold the door for them ! "

One of my floormates invited me at her house in Shantou,Chaozhou, Guangdong province.

I was really well welcomed : as the place is famous for the Teochew cuisine, I was invited to many restaurants, but I also visited the historic centre and its museum. In a few words, it was a very very nice stay ! As I did not expected that at all, I was so happy that I was keeping saying "Thank you" all the time !

But my friend did not want me to say "Thank you" so many times. First because she would feel embarrassed, and then because otherwise it would seem as if I were not sincere... I could just say "Thank you" at the end of the stay.

In Western countries, it is as if we say "Thank you" all the time : thank you for holding the door for me, no thank you I do not want any sugar in my coffee... but for Chinese people, you say "Thank you" only for gifts, or if someone makes a favour to you... in other words, you say "thank you" only if it is worth it !

Different cultures and different definitions of courtesy, who would have guessed that ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home